Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc.

Focused, Dedicated, Determined since 1986 209-390-8829


Family Law


Property Division




Child Custody & Visitation

Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger | Family Law Specialists

Focused, Dedicated, Determined since 1986

Child Relocation Attorneys Who Protect Parental Rights

In our mobile society, many people have the need to relocate to pursue career or educational goals. But a parent with primary physical custody cannot unilaterally make the decision to move if that move would deprive the other parent’s custodial or visitation rights. That can happen only by agreement with the non-relocating parent or through a court order. If you wish to move with your child or the other parent wants to move with the child to a distant location, you need representation from an experienced family law attorney.

At Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. & Associates, Inc. in Stockton, we have been representing parents in custody and visitation matters since 1986. We vigorously defend the rights and interests of parents in cases involving proposed child relocations.

For a consultation regarding your case, call us today at 209-390-8829.

Resolving Child Relocation Cases

Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. & Associates, Inc. is dedicated to achieving custody and visitation solutions that are in the best interest of our clients’ children.

Depending on the circumstances of the case, it may be possible to reach an agreement with the non-relocating parent that allows the move while providing that parent with an acceptable level of parenting time. For example, the non-relocating parent could agree to the move in exchange for time with the child during the summer months and around the holidays. Our attorneys are skilled at negotiating such visitation schedule agreements and obtaining them through mediation. We will also seek to obtain a fair division of travel costs.

It is likely however, that the decision whether to allow the move will be made by a judge. We are experienced litigators and aggressive advocates for our clients’ rights and interests. Whether you wish to relocate with your child or you are the other parent, we will work diligently to build a strong case on your behalf.

Contact Our Lawyers

To discuss a case involving a modification of custody case or a proposed child relocation in California, contact Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. & Associates, Inc. by calling 209-390-8829.