Butler Thiessen & Metzinger INC | Family Law Specialists

Focused, Dedicated, Determined since 1986 209-390-8829

Family Law

Family Law

Property Division

Property Division



Child Custody & Visitation

Child Custody & Visitation

Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger | Family Law Specialists

Focused, Dedicated, Determined since 1986

Modifying A Family Law Order

What can you do when a child support, custody or visitation order no longer fits your circumstances?

The answer is to seek a modification in the order. Many California modification petitions are routine in nature, and courts will approve these provided that you can show that there has been a significant change in circumstances. But a modification case can become contentious when the other party disputes the need for a change in a family law order.

At Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. in Stockton, we regularly represent people who wish to obtain modifications, those who wish to prevent modifications, and those who disagree with the extent of proposed changes.

Call us today at 209-390-8829 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

Child Support Modifications

When a significant change in circumstances occurs, you can seek to obtain an increase or decrease in the amount of child support payments. For example, a large increase or decrease in a parent’s income may be sufficient to justify a modification. Prolonged illness, permanent disability or a change in the percentage of time a child lives with one parent may also justify a modification.

Our lawyers can often obtain child support modifications efficiently, for a reasonable and affordable fee. Other cases may require more extensive work to achieve, such as when a parent is hiding income for the purposes of minimizing the amount of child support that is required.

Child Custody And Visitation Modifications

Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. represents parents who wish to modify custody and parenting time orders. We prepare such cases thoroughly, taking care to gather and present evidence in support of our clients’ positions.

Proposed child/parent relocations are in a special category, because they are frequently highly contentious. Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. provides results-oriented representation in such cases. We will work hard to protect your parental rights and achieve your goals.

Spousal Support Modifications

Our attorneys also represent people in cases involving proposed changes to spousal support orders.

Remember, a family law order will stay in place until a judge issues a new order, and that modifications are never retroactive. If you wish to obtain a modification, you should seek the help of an experienced attorney as soon as possible.

Contact Our Firm

To learn more about family law modifications and motions and how we can help you, email Butler, Thiessen & Metzinger, Inc. by calling 209-390-8829.